Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Accounting Manager
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
As a Staff Accountant/Bookkeeper, you will perform accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, prepare journal entries, fixed asset maintenance, bank reconciliation, and general ledger reconciliation.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support implementation, maintenance and adherence to internal controls and accounting procedures ensuring compliance with GAAP
- Computes, classifies, records, and verifies numerical data for use in maintaining accounting records
- Audits invoices against purchase orders, research discrepancies, and approves for payment.
- Investigates problems that customers, vendors, or purchasing agents have with providing or obtaining payment.
- Assists employees, vendors and auditors by answering questions related to accounts, procedures, and services.
- Verifies and posts details of business transactions, such as funds received and/or disbursed.
- Credit card management and reconciliation
- Maintain fixed asset ledger, depreciation, and reconciliation
- Maintain capital lease and monthly payment schedules
- Prepare journal entries and account reconciliations
- Assist in the month end, quarter end and year end closing process including monthly financial close workbook preparation
Skills and Competencies:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following skills and competencies:
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills required
- Self-starter and strong ethical standards
- Comprehensive knowledge of general ledger
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel experience; Use of formulas
- Great attention to detail
- Experience with ERP systems
- Recent and relevant accounting experience
- Develops and improve daily processes by analyzing current procedures and recommending changes.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer/vendor/co-worker situations; Responds promptly to organizational needs. Requests for service and assistance are responded to in a prompt manner.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Education and/or Experience
- Consider ATA Accounting degree preferably 4 year college degree
- 3-5 years full charge bookkeeping or general accounting experience
- Accounting software (preferably QuickBooks and ERP systems);
- Intermediate experience spreadsheet software (MS Excel) and Word Processing (MS Word and MS PowerPoint) software
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Safe protocols to manage COVID exposures are in place and are to be followed.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
VT Volant Aerospace provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, VT Volant complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment